Saturday, January 22, 2011

#1 Finding Inspiration

The Spark
It's not easy to get inspired these days. Everything has been done and then done again a couple of times over. In all that recycling, it's hard to find something genuine and personal of value. As a new teacher, I think being open and finding new things to impart is crucial to the teaching and learning cycle. Although, I have seen and/or experienced a few (too few) inspirational teachers growing up, the whirlpool that children are now born into, is making that breed of teacher somewhat obsolete. I'm a a fan and advocate of good old fashioned values, but how it's presented (especially in Asia where teachers can sometimes be archaic) makes all the difference.

Today's Highlight
So, #1 in my entry is the simple joy of finding random things that spark a teacher's imagination and heart to inspire little minds. There is an excitement in wanting to go to 'work' on a Monday morning, chewing on a nugget of wisdom and finding little moments to slip some of it in. Everything has got to be right - the topic/area of discussion, the mood and the right, often impish, question that sets it all off. The lesson would now have moved from the book and board -to life. That, for me, is a day well spent; when they walk away mulling over something beyond the syllabus.



How it began?
From the time I started a short while ago, not a day goes by without something jumping out at me and enhancing my walk as a teacher. This blog has been inspired by http://1000awesomethings.com/ (picture shows an article in the Reader's Digest on the author who wrote 1000 Awesome Things) and I like the thought of documenting my journey. I hope all you teachers, students and life-long learners/educators will take a stroll with me here once in awhile. And your insights will be greatly valued.

No comments:

Post a Comment