Monday, January 24, 2011

#2 Making Students Cry

I know this sounds sadistic, but I felt good making a couple of kids cry today. And it was for the best (I hope).

I did not do my homework...
This is a line that most teachers dread hearing. Even those with a reputation for crucifying students' who even dared think it, have to deal with the occassional miscreant. I have battled this from the first week of school - that brings it up to about 4 weeks now, and my patience is waning. Elevated tones, threats to be sent to the headmaster, notes to parents and confiscating breaktime has not achieved desired results. So, today, I broke.

They Will Test You to Your Limits
Despite having the entire Sunday for homework, a few of my dear pupils waltzed into class this morning and said they had not done their work. The excuse? "I don't know how to do it." I could have sworn I heard a couple of synapses snap within my skull. My right eye twitched. I pride myslef in not letting anyone get left out during lessons. They are drilled with the facts and instructions and asked if they need more explanations till I'm hoarse. I draw them out and let them question me till they're satisfied. I do give allowances for the odd forgetful soul but SEVEN? It was obvious. They were testing my limits.

The Guilt Treatment 
After a general scolding, I asked them to approach me individually when they felt they had something to say. One on one, they were told that their behaviour was unacceptible because I expected the same effort from them as I put into their lessons. They enjoy my lessons. They get excited and revel in the activity and life I try so very hard to inject into their routine everyday. I take suggestions on how to make learning more fun AND implement them. Their lights are turned on during my classes and they willingly participate. I was a friend to each one, and so I was genuinely able to look into their guilt and fear stricken eyes and slowly say, "You have hurt my feelings."

Tears played in the eyes of 3 and genuine remorse showed in the eyes of  two others. Five out of seven was good enough for me. They whispered apologies and looked me in the eye. They waited for forgiveness to release them from the knots in their little chests. Something genuine had transpired. Even if they manage to foul up again (as I'm sure they will at some point), I'll always have this moment to revert to - a  promise. They have yet to realize that although my fuse is easily lit, God has given me an endless supply of it. Test away little ones.

I wonder what the darlings will have me try tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment